One Deep Breath
This week, it seems like the best laid plans are quite useless, at least in my world! Five years ago, this would have been stressful, frustrating and exhausting. Now, I find it curious, interesting and amusing.
What’s the difference? A DEEP breath!
This is a great example of Metal Element Qigong in action:
- The Lungs are the Yin Metal Element organ.
- The positive emotion of Metal Element is Courage. It takes courage to face life as it is, rather than how you want it to be.
- The actions of the Metal Element are Condensing (when things don’t happen the way we expect, we must re-evaluate and determine how to use the new path to get where we wish to go) and Purging (then we must let go of what will no longer serve us on the new path).
- Condensing and Purging also take Courage.
- In addition, exhaling through the mouth and excreting through the Large Intestine (the Yang Metal Element organ) are the body’s way of purging waste.
You may doubt that a deep breath could really be transformative. Thankfully, you don’t have to take my word for it, nor do you need any special equipment or money or expertise to give it a try.
Here are some examples of how you can use this Metal element Qigong technique.
- You have an appointment, and on the way, an accident creates a detour adding an unknown amount of additional time to your travel. A deep breath reminds you that you don’t have control over this situation. What you do have control over is alerting your appointment that you may be delayed.
- You have a video call scheduled for work, but your computer has decided to automatically reboot for an update. A deep breath reminds you that while the computer is rebooting, you can refill your tea cup so you will be calm when you do join the call and not create additional distractions.
- You get to the grocery store to pick up some eggs and potatoes so you can make a tortilla de patata only to find the store is out of eggs and potatoes. A deep breath reminds you the store is filled with other foods, and you have the expertise to make all kinds of other meals with food combinations available.
- You and your friends have scheduled a picnic to celebrate the end of gardening season, but true to autumn, the weather becomes gusty and rainy. A deep breath gives you the inspiration to invite your friends for a stroll through a large garden nursery to inspire you for next year followed by tea at a local tea house.
Remember to keep breathing deeply!